Here’s some updates and a round-up of what’s going on with the assistant AG of Michigan (Andrew Shirvell) who is harassing the U of M student body president (Christopher Armstrong):
- Governor Granholm tweeted (. . . sigh) that she would have already fired Shirvell.
- Mr. Armstrong has filed for a restraining order against Mr. Shirvell (via B). I am relieved to see this, but distressed that it’s come to this.
- It has become an issue in the current campaign for Michigan Attorney General (also via B). I’m not sure how I feel about this.
- Mr. Shirvell was apparently a campaign manager for Mike Cox in 2006, but I’m having trouble directly verifying this — I can’t find anything from earlier than 2008 about this. Like, I dug up Cox’s campaign website with the Internet Wayback Machine, and nada. So when you see that factoid bandied about, maybe take it with a grain of salt until someone verifies it.
- On a lighter note, the Big Ten part of Michigan’s schedule starts on Saturday, as does the hockey season!
Finally, I want to note that I generally do not get involved with politics in other states. I do not write letters or donate money, no matter how dear the cause. However, I do not think this is a political issue. Even if politics were more explicitly involved, I think that I do have a legitimate stake in this as an alumnus of the University of Michigan. And Mike Cox has hardly avoided involvement with the affairs of my state.