Back in January, I made the resolution of uploading at least one picture a week, not counting pictures of my son. This seemed much more doable than all those crazy Project 365 people. And my rule was to upload them, not necessarily take them, so I thought it would force me to go through my archives and upload some good pictures lurking in there.
I don’t know why I thought that even a weekly task was doable. I knew I’d be busy when I went back to work. A rule of thumb that has always rung true is, “Family, work, self: pick two,” and right now it’s clearly all about family and work for me. Even if I have a few spare minutes in the evening, I’m more likely to work on Project Euler than photography. Still, I wasn’t prepared for how swamped I’d be, and we’ve been traveling and we’re getting ready to move and this summer is just insane. Some weeks are just too busy for anything else, and that’s okay. So I’m going to change the rules a bit, and make it project-based rather than time-based. The things I want to finish in 2010 are:
- Update: done! Go through the archives from the Denmark/London trip, and make sure the good ones are all uploaded.
- Update: pictures taken, diptych not made. Do a series or diptych or something on the two Russian Orthodox churches in town.
- Update: done! Go through all my pictures from the Santa Barbara Harbor, and make sure I’ve uploaded the good ones.
- Update: done! One last pass through the 2009 archives.
- Update: done! One last pass through January 2010 – March 2010.
- Update: done! One last pass through April 2010 – June 2010.
- Update: not done. At least twice a month, take my camera on the weekend family strolls.
- Update: I purchased Lightroom III, and have started tagging pictures! Do a much, much better job of organizing/tagging the pictures on my computer, even if it means buying Aperture. (Any suggestions? It has to be able to edit RAW, available for Mac OS X, and cost less than $200. Tagging is a must. I should probably just buy Aperture, shouldn’t I.)
I also finished the alphabet poster in 2010, so I think finishing these goals will make it a pretty successful year.
(And I’ve been flossing regularly!)